When the Rey Don Jaime takes Valencia in 1238, the Knights of the order of St. John of the Hospital of Jerusalem that accompany it, and settle near the Jewish quarter, from Xerea door, occupying the Arab Palace of the first emir with their adjacent eras. There they built a first church converted into a Hermitage, the albergue-hospital area and the cemetery.
Shortly after, before 1255, He began the building of the current church. In your area more primitive is a chapel decorated with mural paintings from Romanesque Court, high technical quality and interesting iconography.
A whole group of artists and artisans under the influence of a common school used a biblical account, Eucharistic echoes, completely readable for the people who watched it. Several nobles of the Kingdom of Aragon and Catalonia County were part of the army of the King, including Arnau de Roma, the count of Pallars and Lord of Foces.
Arnau of Roma would rise in the South of the whole San Juan de el Hospital courtyard a small Funeral Chapel, Romanesque style, shortly afterwards it transformed in incipient Gothic and which according to tradition the Rey Don Jaime heard mass. It was surrounded by a cloister of funeral arco-solios, Roman mostly, that have been released with no little effort and study of constructions than from makes century and a half had soaked them and that threaten to do it again.
No less interesting is the figure of the Lord of Foces, Huesca philatelists Knight appointed Procurator of the city by Don Jaime, that known by documents brings its artisans of Huesca to work on the construction of the part more ancient of the Cathedral of Valencia, the door of the Palau, and in the contiguous zone on which there is a reconditorio or Chamber of secrets, decorated with mural paintings from the same bill that the of san Juan de el Hospital.
In this House there is a small hole on the Crown of thorns of the Lord; It surely served to deposit at moments of danger the Holy thorn Crown to San Luis, King of France, gave to the rey Don Jaime and that was part of his personal and traveling reliquary and this deposited the valentina SEO. The rest of the paintings, around the hollow, they are dedicated to the passion of Christ, thus completing the iconographic narration. This reconditorio would serve nearly two hundred years later to deposit the Holy Chalice of dinner that King Alfonso V the Magnánimo brought to Valencia from Huesca in the year 1424, from the monastery of San Juan de la Peña where was from 1134.
In San Juan de el Hospital has his grave the Empress Constanza de Grecia which King Jaime I gave shelter in Valencia, by hosting it in the Royal Palace until his death. In his entourage of sovereign, the Empress brought many relics from Nicaea: Santa Barbara and a Lignum Crucis of considerable size.
Column and skeletal remains of Santa Barbara bequeathed them to his death in 1307 the Church of San Juan de el Hospital, and the Lignum Crucis to the city of Valencia, one of the relics more important the reliquary of the Cathedral. For many years he was with the Holy Chalice of dinner, until the latter was placed on where is venerated the Chapterhouse.
Margarita Ordeig Corsini
Technical Director of the Museum of the Hospital San Juan de el Hospital de Valencia set