The sacrament of order
St. Paul says to his disciple Timothy: “I recommend that you reavives the charism of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands” (2 TM 1,6), and “If anyone aspires to the office of the Bishop, want a noble function” (1 TM 3,1). Titus said: “The reason for leaving you in Crete, It was so you'll organize what was missing and establecieras priests in every city, like me you ordered” (TT 1,5).
The order is the sacrament through which the mission entrusted by Christ to his Apostles continues being exercised in the church until the end of time: ES, because, the sacrament of Apostolic Ministry.
The word order indicated, in ancient Roman times, bodies in civil sense, all over the body of those who govern. Ordinatio means integration into an ordo.
For the ordained Ministry, especially by the bishops and priests, Christ as head of the Church's presence is made visible in the midst of the community of believers. According to the beautiful expression of San Ignacio de Antioquía, the Bishop is typos tou Patros, is a vivid image of Dios Padre.
From the origins, the ordained Ministry was conferred and exercised in three grades: of the Bishops, the presbyters and deacons. The ministries conferred by ordination are irreplaceable for the organizational structure of the Church: without the Bishop, priests and deacons cannot speak of Church.
The Bishop receives the fullness of the sacrament of orders that joined it the College of bishops and made him the head of the particular Church that is committed. The Bishops, as successors of the Apostles and members of the College, they participate in the Apostolic responsibility and the Mission of the whole Church under the authority of the Pope, successor of St. Peter.
The priests are United to the bishops in sacerdotal dignity and at the same time depend on them in the exercise of their pastoral functions; they are called to be diligent cooperators of the Bishops; they form around their bishop the presbytery who takes on the responsibility of the particular Church. They receive the Bishop's care of a parish community or a particular ecclesial function.
Deacons are ordained Ministers for the church service tasks; they do not receive the ministerial priesthood, but ordination confers important functions in the Ministry of the word, cult divine, pastoral Government and charity service, tasks to be fulfilled under the pastoral authority of the Bishop.
The sacrament of orders is conferred by the laying on of hands followed by a prayer that asks God to the ordering the graces of the Holy Spirit required for your Ministry. It corresponds to the bishops confer the sacrament of order in all three grades.
Answers to frequently asked questions
- What is the sacrament of order?
- It is the one by which the mission entrusted by Christ to his Apostles continues being exercised in the church until the end of time. It consists of three degrees: the episcopate, the priesthood and the diaconate.
- Why is it called sacrament of orders?
- Order indicates an ecclesial body, that is entered to form part using a special consecration (management).
- What is the office of the Bishop in the particular Church entrusted to him?
- Bishop, to whom a particular Church is entrusted, It is the visible principle and Foundation of the unity of the Church, in which plays, as Vicar of Christ, the pastoral office, helped by their priests and deacons.
- How wields the priest his Ministry?
- Although it has been ordered to a universal mission, the priest puts it on a particular Church and that, in communion with the Bishop and depending on the, they are responsible for the particular Church.
- What is the effect of the ordination to the diaconate?
- The deacon, configured with Christ, servant of all, It is ordered to the service of the Church in the Ministry of the word, divine worship, the pastoral guide and charity.
- Who can confer this sacrament?
- It corresponds to the validly ordained bishops, as successors of the Apostles, confer three degrees of the sacrament of orders.