The Gothic-Renaissance ashlar
Attributed to Francisco Gomar. Spanish sculptor born in Zaragoza in the S. XV.
Author of the altarpiece of "The Virgin of Directors" for the chapel of the Town Hall of Barcelona 1443. The artist moved around 1447 Zaragoza which would conduct the choir stalls Seo, along with his brother Antonio Gomar; and also the Cathedral of Tarragona.
They have been attributed to both the work of ashlar Jatiel (Teruel), from the Monastery of Rueda.
ORIGIN OF COURSE OF CHAIRS:
It can come from the Monastery of San Benito de Calatayud, built in S. XII, annexed to the Benedictine Monastery of Oña. It was performed for the church choir, situated high in the foothills of the same. In the decade of 1950-60 He was placed in the apse.
When the convent closed community and moved to the Monastery of San Benito de Zaragoza, the day 31 July of 1969, They took with them the ashlar, which is supposed it was complete and in good condition.
Also comes the new convent, for similar reason, Monastery stalls Corella (Navarra), opting for the latter place that responds better to the wishes of the community, by the number of seats and so familiar that it was for religious.
Later Calatayud stalls sell an antiquarian, about 1970.
Around years 1950 to 1960, Barons of the Royal Jura, Dear. Mr. D. Muller and Luis Ferrer and his wife, Doña Blanca Morenés and Carvajal, They acquired an unassembled section of an ancient ashlar. The batch was transferred to the farm, property barons. In 1996, D. Jaime Muller and Morenés, son of D. Luis and Doña Blanca, he offered to D. Manuel de Murua and Sancristóval, rector of the church of San Juan del Hospital in Valencia.
The pieces of masonry were: Eight sides with armrests in perfect condition and five seats with the respective mercies. All right least one in poor condition. Made in oak Flanders.
In December 1996 he moved to the carpentry workshop of the Brothers Arnal Sunday, in Serra, (Valencia), the 13 pieces, to be restored.
Wood pieces missing, as it can be seen in the photographs attached, They were made originally in French oak.
Once in the workshop, They were sanded to loosen accumulated dirt and old varnish and could better appreciate the size of the armrests: simple and stylized
The job, very laborious for the historical and artistic demands entailed, It was completed in April 1997. special work was dedicated to the "tender mercies", which they could be faithfully restored, least one of them that was reproduced integrally in the style of the original.
He later moved to the church of San Juan del Hospital, where it stood in the apse, supported in the central panel of the same, behind the high altar.
Once there is proceeded to the equalization tone wood pieces with polish and wax.
Work conducted by the restoration specialist, Mª Teresa Alapont.