TOMBSTONE OF ALBERO

The tombstone of the family of Albero is one of the oldest medieval inscriptions preserved in Valencia. Of unknown authorship, of the year 1254, S.XIII.
It is a white marble tombstone sectional shape reminiscent of a sarcophagus, He belonged to the family of Albero as stated in the inscription. It consists of three ornamental groups:
A.- bas-relief, flat surface, representing the Crucifixion, four figures: In the middle, Christ on the cross, on both sides of the Virgin Mary and San Juan, each accompanied by two angels with sword-and torch or. Stipes on the cross, at angles, two circles representing the sun and the moon.
The apparent coarseness of the relief may be due to its use as a nail support or superimposed bronze.
B.- Inscription: Ten lines in Gothic script, kind of monastic; It was introduced in Valencia during the pontificate of Bishop Andrés de Albalat ( 1248-73 ). In the first line reads date: 1250 to 8 ides of January. Then the names of those buried:
Albero exempt, 13 February 1260
Albero exempt (son), 30 April 1270
Diego Albero, 14 August 1286
C.- Four Hispanic coats of arms, located at the four corners of the rectangular part which composes the tombstone: heraldic, lion rampant in both upper and quartered Greek cross with lion and cantonados, in the two lower.
It was restored at the end of the decade of the 90. The letters of the inscription were policromadas, being able to see traces of red and ocher alternating. It is placed in the hall of the museum finds.

Family headstone of Albero