Their circumstances, There is no schedule for the administration of the sacrament of the anointing of the sick.
All the priests with the care of souls (parish priests and hospital chaplains) they have the obligation and the right to manage the anointing of the sick to the faithful entrusted to your pastoral task; but, for a reasonable cause, any other priest can administer this sacrament, with the at least presumed consent of the priest who formerly referred.
The sacrament of the anointing of sick
“Heal the sick!” (Mt 10,8). The Church has received this task to the Lord and tries to make it both through the care provided to patients as by intercessory prayer which accompanies them. Believe in the life-giving presence of Christ, physician of souls and bodies. This presence acts particularly through the sacraments, and in a special way by the Eucharist, bread that gives eternal life (Jn 6,54.58) and whose connection with corporal health intimate san Pablo (1 Co 11,30).
The disease can lead to distress, to the fold on itself, sometimes even to despair and rebellion against God. It can also make the most mature person, help them to discern in his life it is not essential to go to what is it. Very often, the disease encourages a search for God, a return to the.
The anointing of the sick is not a sacrament for only those who are about to die. For this reason, is considered time opportune to receive it when the faithful begins to be in danger of death by disease or old age. If a patient who received the anointing recovers health, can, in the case of new disease severe, again receive this sacrament. In the course of the disease, the sacrament can be repeated if the disease worsens. It is appropriate to receive the anointing of the sick before a major operation. And this same applies to older persons seniors whose forces are weakened.
As in all the sacraments, the anointing of the sick is celebrated in liturgical and community way, It takes place in family, in the hospital or in the Church, for a single patient or for a group of patients. It is very suitable to be held within the Eucharist, Memorial of the Lord's Passover. If circumstances permit, the celebration of the sacrament can be preceded by the sacrament of penance and followed by the sacrament of the Eucharist. As soon as sacrament of the Passover of Christ, the Eucharist should always be the last sacrament of the earthly pilgrimage, the “viaticum” for the “step” to eternal life.
The celebration of the sacrament involves mainly these elements: “the elders of the Church” they impose - silent- hands the sick; you pray for the sick in the faith of the Church; It is the characteristic of this sacrament epiclesis; They then ungen the sick with blessed oil, If it is possible, by Bishop.
Christ invites his disciples to follow him in turn taking up your cross (Mt 10,38). According to him they acquire a new vision about the disease and patients. Jesus associates them with his poor and humble life. It makes them participate in its Ministry of compassion and healing: “And, leaving from there, they preached that they developed; they expelled many demons, and they anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them” (MC 6,12-13). The risen Lord renews this shipping (“In my name … they will lay hands on the sick and will be well”, MC 16,17-18) and confirm it with signs that the Church performs by invoking his name (HCH 9,34; 14,3). These signs manifest themselves in a special way that Jesus is truly “God who saves” (Mt 1,21; HCH 4,12).
Answers to frequently asked questions
- What is the anointing of the sick?
- It is the sacrament which provides the health of soul, spirit and body to the Christian state of serious illness or old age.
- How many times can a Christian receive the sacrament?
- The times that required, whenever he is in a critical condition. You can get it even when the critical condition occurs as a relapse of a previous state that had already received the sacrament.
- What effects have the anointing of the sick?
- The anointing joins the sick person to the passion of Christ. You get comfort, peace, mood and the forgiveness of sins, and prepares for the passage to eternal life.
- What is the Viaticum?
- It is the Eucharist received by those who are to leave this earthly life and prepares for the passage to eternal life. Received at the time of the transition from this world to the father, the communion of the body and blood of Christ dead and risen, It is the seed of eternal life and power of resurrection.